Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Finger Tip Danger


I recently learned just how deadly your finger tips can be to the lower router head and propeller blades of an RC helicopter. A friend of a friend found an Apache AH-64 Feral Beast and decided that he would try his hand at flying a remote control helicopter. He managed to get it cranked and then almost immediately stuck his fingers in the way of the blades. He gave it to me real cheap saying that he just decided that remote control helicopters just weren’t for him. I immediately noticed the cracked and broken propeller blades and the missing balancer, but it wasn’t until I actually got it going that I realized the real extent of the damage. The lower router head was completely sheared off and replacement parts come with large shipping bills. The friend or a friend confessed to what really happened and offered to take it back or chip in on the cost of fixing it, but I still have not decided what to do. It is a larger indoor heli like I have been looking for, but on the other hand it will take more effort to fix it than I really want to put into it. This lesson right here should teach you two things.

1) If it is sold cheap, it probably isn’t worth it!

2) Keep your finger tips out of the way!!

Be safe flying,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment